So a week or so ago, we were nominated for the SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD by a lovely Flawkward lady, Emily (who runs a fab book blog over at yeswhale.com – go check it out, stat!). Essentially, the award is to boost positivity and connection in the blogging community, so we’re really grateful to have been picked, particularly as we’re still such a little blog.
Anyway – in case we nominate you to go next – here are the rules of the award…
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link their blog so others can find them.
- Answer the 11 questions which the blogger who nominated you asked.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and ask them 11 different questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine blogger award logo in your post and/or on your blog site.
And here are our answers to Emily’s questions. We hope you enjoy them!
1. Why did you pick the blog name that you did?
Flawkward = flawless + awkward… which essentially is the ethos of this space! Through our posts, we want to emphasise that you can struggle with shortcomings and/or be completely awkward, and still be an amazing, exceptional human being.
2. Name a blog that inspires you..:
Amy: This is a weird one, there’s lots of bookish blogs I enjoy, but the blog that had the most impact on me over the last few years was Life of a Widower. It was written by Benjamin Brooks-Dutton whose wife was killed when she was hit by an elderly driver in front of their then young son. The blog charted his life with grief and trying to raise a small child who was also grieving and some of that raw emotion, love and experience has stayed with me. Last time I checked, Ben was taking a little break from writing, but I followed it for a long time.
Laura: I’m a HUGE fan of Jenny Lawson (AKA, The Bloggess). She blogs so unapologetically about her life, and makes me laugh out loud almost daily. She’s also written two brilliant books: Furiously Happy and Let’s Pretend This Never Happened. I’m into a lot of bookish Instagrammers at the moment, too, including Book Nerd Becky and Dark Faerie Tales – they take crazy-good pictures of their reads and make some fab recommendations!
3. What is your favourite aspect of your blog?
Amy: For me it is just outing all the chaos we usually keep within our conversations…basically sharing our weird with the masses.
Laura: It’s just a giant brain-jumble of our favourite stuff – what’s not to love!?
4. Best blogging tip?
Amy: Simply…don’t allow yourself to feel restricted or censored. Your blog, your way. The readers will come.
Laura: In terms of writing – just write what you love, and don’t put pressure on yourself to write about certain things or in a style that’s uncomfortable for you. Life is too short to not enjoy your creativity, and your blog shouldn’t be a burden! In terms of other stuff – chat to other bloggers. It’s the best way to get your words out there, and we’ve received some wonderful support from the community (including this nomination)!
5. If you were only able to watch one film for the rest of your life, what film would you choose and why?
Amy: This question is brilliant, but kind of makes me want to cry because I am awful at narrowing down lists of things I love. However, it would be Home Alone (I know this is not very high brow) because the music is amazing and it just brings together that warm, nostalgic Christmas joy for me – all year round. I am Mrs Christmas and I will fight for that title!
Laura: Amelie, probably… though I would miss a lot of others (namely Sofia Coppola and Studio Ghibli films)!
6. Where do you write the majority of your blog posts?
Amy: Sofa or breakfast bar (coffee is my blogging friend).
Laura: On my couch (with Gilmore Girls playing on mute in the background, because Michel’s face soothes me).
7. What is your favourite item that you own?
Amy: Again with the narrowing down…gah. I own so many weird things but possibly my Talkboy from Home Alone because it’s just too awesome for words and it is a testimony to my refusal to be a real adult.
Laura: Ooft – a toughie. At the moment, my white Instax Mini 8, because I saved up for it for a long time so it feels special! I also have a white Kindle Paperwhite that I read from almost every night (and yes, I like white gadgets).
8. You are stranded on a desert island, but have your three favourite books with you – what are they?
Amy: Noooooooooo. I don’t think I can do this justice, but: The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, Romeo and Juliet (I was completely spellbound when I read it at school) and I am sorry, I know this is a cop out, but something YA – there’s just too many I have loved. Sorry, forgive me!!
Laura: HARDEST QUESTION EVER. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Samantha Irby and Exchange by Paul Magyrs – my favourite book of all time, a book that makes me laugh and my favourite book as a teen.
9. Fruit or vegetables?
Laura: Fruit! Berries over broccoli, all the way.
10. What is the main aim of your blog?
Amy: Create a space that makes me people think “Oh, me too!” and something that gives me a chance to write with and general hang out with Laura even more. She is my creative partner in crime and I adore her.
Laura: Honestly – we just wanted to do a cool collab project, and we both love writing and have a lot of shared interests, so Flawkward is pretty broad in that sense… it doesn’t really have one fixed ‘goal’ to speak of! However, I hope that our honest conversations about awkward moments and mental illness, along with our book reviews and features on the things that we love, helps readers to connect with us and each other in new ways, and encourage them to be unafraid to embrace their differences. Sorry. That was the longest sentence ever. (Also, I adore Amy too.)
11. Any goals for the rest of 2018? List them below, and let us help you reach them!
Amy: I think just continuing to push ourselves out there, to get bolder in what we post, share more weird and immerse ourselves in the blogging community a bit more (time allowing). I am really excited about some of the interview stuff we’re working on.
Laura: I would love for us to reach 500 followers (on Instagram and Twitter combined). It would also be amazing to get some cool interviews up on the site with our favourite authors and artists!
For the 11 bloggers we’ve nominated – here’s what we’d like to ask you!
- What motivated you to start your blog?
- What’s your favourite time of year, and why?
- Are you a dinner or desserts kind of person?
- What’s your dream job?
- Written anything you’re particularly proud of recently? (Share the link in your answer!)
- Are you a dog or a cat person?
- What will the name of your autobiography be when your blog goes stratospheric!?
- What’s your favourite thing about writing your blog?
- Which book could you read time and time again?
- What three main traits do you look for in a friend?
- What’s your top track to listen to while you write?